Beauty Without Fuss

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Project Perfume

Accountants need projects like fish need bicycles water.  This year, I've decided to set myself one, I have around fifty different projects going on at work so, what's another one for home?

Over Christmas, I downloaded Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin onto my Kindle App (Santa ignored my repeated requests for a Kindle this year, I hate him), and spent a glorious day and a half reading about practically every perfume under the sun.  I also spent a lot of time bookmarking those perfumes I was really interested in having a sniff of.  It's completely and utterly engrossing, and I learned a great deal reading it.

2010 was the year I really re-discovered perfume. After several years of avoiding buying it altogether, being disgusted with the proliferation of syrupy-sweet stinks that all smelled the same, I stuck to a few old favourites (Acqua di Parma, Jicky and Aromatics Elixir, in the main), and thought that there was nothing on the market to interest little old me.  I was wrong.

So, having spent last year discovering that there was perfume I like available, I'm going to spend some time this year, sniffing my way through the classics (and some not-so-classics - just because I love them) and see if I can educate my nose a bit more.  I spent some time before Christmas with some amazing perfumers, and I'll be talking about those soon.

It turns out that when I'd been bookmarking the scents I was interested in, I'd picked out around 100 or so that I was really, really super interested in, so, being an accountant, I've created a spreadsheet (I even added a pivot table, deep joy!) and I'll be tallying everything I've sniffed as the year goes on. I can manage two sniffs of new perfume a week, I'm sure.  I'll even review them here ... a bit.  Occasionally.  If, over the next 12 months, you see an anorak  accountant with a spangly pen frantically writing notes on random bits of paper in a perfume hall near you, then you'll have spotted Get Lippie out in the wild ... I'll publish the list in full at a later date.

So, if money were no object what perfume would you buy for yourself?
Share:

12 comments

  1. I know so little sbout perfume, so I'm really interested to see these posts. I got Stella by Stella McCartney for Christmas and I love that but I have no idea what I'd get if money were no object- I wouldn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would literally sell my soul (who needs it?) for a bottle of Le Labo Cuir 28- Dubai exclusive. Chances are slim that I'll get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love perfumes and if I could have any I'd probably have them all espeially channel 5.
    I have done a post featuring my collection I would love to get my hands on that book a I'm an addict lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the guide by Turin+Sanchez, went through it so quickly. But it's a dangerous thing - makes you want to try about a hundred perfumes - but I guess now you already know that. If money were no object I'd buy Amouage Epic and Lyric, Guerlain Shalimar Ode a Vanille, Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail and loads of samples.
    Am looking forward to seeing your list of the chosen scents.
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received Balenciaga Paris for Christmas and it is beautiful. I love Aromatics Elixir and Acqua di Parma too, so maybe check it out.

    I also recommend Acqua di Gioia for summer.

    If money were no object, I'd take a bath of Chanel No5 every morning. Just because. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to learn more about perfume for a long time, thank you for bringing this book to my attention.
    I too am fed up of the samey, chemical/synthetic fragrances on offer, but sadly a lot of the perfumes I lust after are a little out of my price range.
    If money were no object I would go crazy for a few hours in Les Senteurs. I'd love to try/buy Lady Caron, Caron Narcisse Noir, Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower and Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A spreahsheet?! Hee hee!

    If money were no object I'd be buying the one you introduced me to at Liberty or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The entire Jo Malone collection - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looove perfume! I have two of the Viktor & Rolf ones, flowerbomb and eau mega which are both great. I also have Chanel Chance aaaand the Chloe one (i seem to be the only person who likes this) but they're all amazing!
    I'm studying cosmetic science and there is a section on Perfumery which i'm quite excited about!
    http://gh0stparties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfume posts from Get Lippie? Something to look forward to!

    If money were no object, I'd buy a large bottle of Amouage's Tribute. It completely blew me away when I first tried it.

    And as for the Sanchez & Turin book, I think it's wonderful, but I will say this: Be prepared - and brave enough - to disagree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was that person with the crumpled bit of paper last year! I bought the book - great doorstop that it is and was hugely entertained by it but suprisingly not aided by it, the descriptions were great but not especially informative I found. However it did reawaken a love of perfume and for that I am forever grateful. Thanks for this and Happy New Year. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have absolutely no idea about perfumes but I'm proper laughing out loud at your use of pivot tables! I thought I was the only person that did things like that :)

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love hearing from you!

© Get Lippie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig