Beauty Without Fuss

Wednesday 20 April 2011

YSL Volupte Sheer Candy - 02 Papaye Gelee


It must be said that YSL Rouge Voluptes have some of the prettiest packaging on the market.  That out of the way, I have to say that I am not a fan of the Rouge Volupte formula, finding it too greasy, and disliking the way the texture sits on your lips, rather then melds with your lips texture.  For such an expensive lipstick, personally, I think they're not worth the price, and, I've never quite understood their popularity, which I suspect is partially down to their undeniable prettiness - even MrLippie thinks they're "swish"!

Being of a fair mind - and, having tried the new sheer Dior  and Chanel lipsticks recently too - when I noticed that YSL had brought out a tinted balm version of their Rouge Voluptes, I thought I'd give one of them a try.  Having swatched all 6 shades, which go from an extremely pale pink, through to a red, I picked out shade number 2, which is Papaye Gelee, or "Dewy Papaya", and is a pretty coral shade:


This is really beautiful packaging, I much prefer the silver to the gold, and  on the lips, it's very moisturising, if a little lacking in pigment.  Yes, I do appreciate this is a balm, but I did notice on swatching that there was little to no difference between any of the colours on the pale side:

As you can see from the swatch, it's barely visible at all.  But this doesn't, actually, make this a bad balm.  It's nice to use, pleasantly scented (with no taste) of watermelon, and does make your lips feel soft and moisturised while you're using it.  I find that if I use it with a lipstain, it does have a tiny "brightening" effect on the colour, and for that reason, I'm glad I bought it.

So out of all the sheer/balm lipsticks I've tried recently, I think YSL wins on packaging (and price, being cheaper than both the Chanel and Dior), but ... the Chanel wins overall for comfort of wear, and range of colours. 


YSL Volupte Sheer Candy are currently exclusive to Harrods, and cost £20.


The Fine Print: Harrods stole my credit card, and gave me this in return.


This post originated at: http://getlippie.com All rights reserved.
Share:

4 comments

  1. I actually quite like my Rouge Volupte but I definitely agree that they are very expensive for what they are and the formula is a little too chalky for my taste, I feel like I have to constantly reapply it so it's a bit of a pain to wear. For that reason I barely ever reach for it anymore so don't think I'll buy another. The tinted versions sound much better so I'd definitely be willing to give them a go x

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm that looks delicious! i agree with you re the formula or the rouge voluptes - slip central! but a balm sounds good and the colour is really pretty
    amina x
    http://aminasbazaar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lipstick which is EXACTLY like this, its a little LESS sheer but perfect! Orange is such a lovely lip colour if done correctly! I think its lancome!

    besides, this YSL looks gorgeous, I always find their lippies so hydrating, but I've never tried this! Shame about the price - Well beyond my budget atm :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've still yet to try a YSL lipstick, but I do like the sound of this new balm, I have dry lips so anything that moisturises is better for me. Wish it came in the gold packaging though x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, I love hearing from you!

© Get Lippie | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig